Progress on my New Pattern

Update:  The pattern is complete!
You can purchase a copy at my Etsy Shop:
Recycled Denim Jeans- Rag Quilt Pattern

















I have posted several times in the past about the progress of my recycled denim jeans quilt. As I progressed I got some great feedback and I decided to turn it into a pattern.

I'm about a third of the way through the pattern draft and have been taking pictures along the way which I'd like to show here.

I've been thinking about how to help people can get the most possible usable yardage from each pair of jeans. 
I've found that if you cut the legs off just under the pockets and then cut down the inside of each leg seam, you'll get the maximum amount of fabric.

One pant leg cut open looks like this...
 


















AND interestingly enough, I've found that if you start tracing circles at the Bottom of the pant leg you will get MORE circles then if you start tracing at the top.  I don't know why but somehow I'm maximizing the length better by starting at the bottom!  

As far as cutting out the circles, I've been going back and forth between using use a cardboard template for tracing the circles or using the Olfa circle cutter.
















 OR




















There are advantages to both and I'm trying to decide which one to recommend or to just talk about both.  I don't want to make things too complicated though...

I think the biggest challenge about this quilt is actually making the circles.  I've been doing a LOT of research and it's surprising but there are no really good ways to cut accurate circles.

Anyway, back to the drawing board (literally)!  
Heather

10 comments:

  1. Its looking really good but it's already a free pattern.

    http://www.equilters.com/library/jeans/jeans_gallbaros.html

    I am not posting this to be mean but just to point it out to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Applibyhand!
    Thanks so much for the comment!! It's true that there are many patterns out there that represent the same type of quilt! And you're so right, there is a one page tutorial located at the site you mentioned. The pattern that I am working on goes together differently and is a rag quit (unlike the one at this site) with much more detailed instructions. From much experience I have found a lot of tips and tricks to make this quilt easier!! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this rag quilt version. I did check out the other link posted above, but find yours to be more of what I want to make.
    Thank you for sharing it! I'm inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Gabriele! :) I appreciate it! Heather

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are lots of jean quilt patterns, this is also on you tube but made with different material and sewed exactly like you do. FYI only. Beautiful. Here is the link of other jean quilts: please this one. http://www.equilters.com/library/jeans/jeans_galleryindex.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Heather,
    Your quilt is beautiful and in reading these other patterns, I just feel like their are details missing. Would love to buy your pattern! I can't find the downloadable version. Can you instruct me?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Janice,

    I've got to get the link fixed!!!

    Thank you so much for your interest! Please go to:

    www.InventiveDenim.com

    Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can only cut perfect circles if you have one of those die cutting machines with the handle, such as Sizzix or Cuttlebug. The possibilities are endless then since they come with a variaty of die shapes that you could never cut by hand. I love your quilt!!! Amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's true a die cutting machine makes this VERY easy! If you have access to one it's definitely a bonus! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would to get the pattern of the recycled denim jeans rag quilt. I can't seem to get it.
    Marilynn Wilkins
    bambamwilkins@msn.com

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...